Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage is object-based cloud storage, and it can store data of any size at a low cost. Wasabi provides a single storage class to store any data. Using Wasabi Storage, you can upload and download data fast. It is also compatible with AWS S3.
A bucket is a container to store data. Buckets contain data in the form of objects.
The key points about the buckets are:
- The bucket name should be unique. Its length should be between 3 to 63 characters. These characters include letters, periods, numbers, and dashes.
- For one Wasabi account, you can create up to 1000 buckets.
- While creating a bucket, you can select the region in which you want to store your data.
- You can also enable bucket versioning while creating the bucket. It helps you store different versions of the same data with your desired changes.
- Enabling the bucket logging gives you access logs both for buckets and logs. These logs are in the form of a text file.
- For each bucket, you can set permissions to create, delete and list the objects.
- You will not be able to use a bucket publicly if you are using a trial account.
An object means files, permissions, and the metadata about files. We call both a file and folder an object.
The key points about the buckets are:
- You can create as many objects in a bucket as you want.
- It is up to you to make an object(file or folder) public or not.
- Object locking is a mechanism that prevents users from deleting an object for a fixed amount of time. You can enable object locking while creating the bucket.
- In Wasabi storage, you can select many objects and make all selections private. This feature is not available in AWS.
- If you are using a trial account, you cannot use an object publicly.
A user is a person whom you authenticate to perform actions on your Wasabi account. Each user associates with one or more policies. These policies describe what that user can do, under what conditions.
A group consists of one or more users. Like a user, a group also associates with one or more policies.
Why use Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage?
Here are some reasons why you should use Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage:
- On Wasabi’s website, it says that the price for Wasabi Storage is 80% less than AWS S3.
- It has no charges for egress or API requests.
- You can upload and download data from Wasabi Storage fast.
- There is an option to use private networks to transfer data to and from Wasabi Storage. It makes your data very secure.
- Wasabi Storage provides the data durability of 11x9s.
- They have many data centers to provide data redundancy. So, due to data redundancy, the availability of data increases.
- After you upload data to Wasabi, no one can change it because they provide data immutability.
- It is simple to use, and it is not necessary to select the location of data. If you do not select any data location, then Wasabi will store it at the appropriate location.
- In Wasabi Storage, they only charge you based on your data usage. They follow the pay-as-you-go model for pricing.
- Reserved storage blocks are also available at affordable rates.
- The size of data transfer per appliance to Wasabi Storage is 100 TB.
- Wasabi also allows you to create access keys to work with the 3rd party storage applications.
- Wasabi provides a GUI tool named Wasabi Explorer. It allows you to manage files across your local storage and Wasabi storage.
Frequently asked questions
How can we connect to Wasabi Storage?
There are many options to connect to Wasabi Storage. For example, you can connect using both private connections and internet-based connections. Wasabi Direct Connect is an example of a private connection.
Which tools can we use with Wasabi Storage?
You can use the same tool you use with AWS S3 because Wasabi is AWS S3 compliant. For example, you can use AWS CLI from AWS or the gcloud command-line tool from Google Cloud. Moreover, Wasabi also has its tool based on Graphical User Interface (GUI). You can also use Cyberduck, restic, or MSP360.
Can we store data in Wasabi Storage but deploy our application on Amazon?
Yes. Because Wasabi can transfer data fast between Amazon’s services and Wasabi Storage. The data transfer happens through the Direct Connect service from Amazon.
Is Wasabi Storage reliable?
Yes. Because it uses the best industry practices to store data like data redundancy.
How secure is our data on Wasabi Storage?
Wasabi encrypts your data by following the best industry practices. For example, it uses HTTPS for data upload and download. Further, only the owners can access the bucket and objects. Moreover, to control data access, it also uses user authentication.
Yes. You can use a cloud service such as Google Drive for this purpose.
Related Object Storage Services
There are many related object storage services that you need to know. Every organization, small or large, needs to store data. Finding the right cloud storage provider to meet your needs is essential.
Below is a full-list of the related object storage services covered by Anto Online:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Simple Storage Service (S3)
- DigitalOcean Spaces Object Storage
- Google Cloud Storage
- Linode Object Storage
- Microsoft Azure Blob Storage
- Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage
You may also be interested in
About the Authors
Anto's editorial team loves the cloud as much as you! Each member of Anto's editorial team is a Cloud expert in their own right. Anto Online takes great pride in helping fellow Cloud enthusiasts. Let us know if you have an excellent idea for the next topic! Contact Anto Online if you want to contribute.
Support the Cause
Support Anto Online and buy us a coffee. Anything is possible with coffee and code.